Cameron and I drove west from Dublin to Galway for a quick stop, then continued an hour south to the Cliffs of Moher.
Galway is known as Ireland’s Cultural Heart. It has a vibrant lifestyle, full of live music, traditional Irish music, visual arts, and lots of festivals. Cameron and I didn’t get to fully experience what this city has to offer as we were on a time crunch to get to the Cliffs of Moher, but boy were they worth it!
The Cliffs of Moher can be summed up in a word… Majestic. They are massive cliffs that are 702 feet (214 meters) high and span 8 miles (12.8 km) across the west coast of Ireland. These cliffs are home to an estimated 30,000 different birds from 29 different species, one of which is the Atlantic Puffin. On one side you have the coast with the cold and misty Atlantic and on the other side, you have a gorgeous valley with every shade of green imaginable. Truly is worth a visit!
HELPFUL TIPS FOR PLANNING YOUR VISIT!
- DAY TOUR FROM DUBLIN – As I mentioned, Cameron and I rented a car and drove west to experience this natural wonder. Though it was a great experience driving ourselves (more to come on that in the next post!), I would recommend taking the Day Tour from Dublin. Less headaches, more information, and cheaper if you go this route!
- The tour is €45 (per adult) and includes a few stops, a guided walking tour of Galway and Cliffs of Moher, all entrance fees, and round trip shuttle service. You leave Dublin at 06:50am and return at 09:00pm (21:00)
- There are a handful of companies that offer tours but Dublin Tour Company seems to offer the most inclusive option for the price. For more information on this tour, visit http://www.dublintourcompany.com/
- DRIVE YOURSELF – You pay to park in the official car park. This ticket includes your admission to the park and facilities.
- For more information, visit http://www.cliffs-moher.com